This item is a spacecraft model.
Houston, we have a problem.
Thanks to the popular Tom Hanks movie Apollo 13, that gripping tale of near-disaster and miraculous recovery in space is known to all the world, not just hard-core fans of space exploration. Now, following up on their stunning Apollo 11 model, Bandai is offering a 1/144 scale model of Apollo 13 with its Saturn V launch vehicle.
This exquisitely accurate 1/144-scale reproduction is based on many specialized documents and other data to ensure that the overall appearance, as well as that of parts such as the rocket and engine, is as accurate and detailed as possible. In addition, during development of this product, Bandai sought and received the full cooperation of the web site "Apollo Maniacs," a favorite of Apollo fans. So you know it's as good as it can be! The model is made primarily of plastic, but also features die-cast metal and photo-etched metal parts. And the markings are stunning!
All the stages of the rocket, from launch to splashdown, are reproduced. Just like the real thing, the rocket splits into nine sections so that you can recreate all mission stages, including launch, the (planned) moon landing, and splashdown! The Saturn V rocket can be split into the first, second and third stages, and the Apollo 13 and Lunar Module can be joined to or separated from the rocket. Two Service Modules are provided, one undamaged and the other with missing panels to replicate the damage caused by the explosion that started the whole drama.
The display base, which allows you to display the Saturn V vertically, is mirrored. When the model is mounted on the stand, the extremely detailed engines can be easily seen in the mirror. The base also features a detailed seascape plate with splashdowned capsule, recovery divers with raft, and recovery helicopter, all in the same scale. Another set of stands are also included that allows the separated rocket sections to be displayed. The Saturn V itself towers 76cm (that's about 2 1/2 feet!) from the bottoms of the F-1 engine bells to the top of the LES. Made of ABS plastic, PVC vinyl, and diecast metal parts.
This awe-inspiring set includes:
- Apollo 13 with Saturn V launch vehicle (S-IC 1st stage, S-II 2nd stage, S-IVB 3rd stage, S-II Aft Interstage, S-IVB Aft Interstage, Spacecraft Lunar Module Adaptor, Command Module, 2 Service Modules (one undamaged, one with missing panels to replicate the Apollo 13 "problem"), Launch Escape Subsystem and Boost Protective Cover, and Support Ship Antenna)
- Lunar Module Descent Stage (with movable legs)
- Lunar Module Ascent Stage
- Seascape base plate
- Re-entry capsule in "splashdowned" configuration
- Recovery raft
- 2 recovery divers
- Recovery helicopter with stand
- Stand for Vertical Display (Seascape plate, Display Parts, Nameplate)
- Stands for Horizontal Display
- Display Stand for Lunar Module/Command Module
- Commentary Booklet
Please note that the photos shown are of a prototype; the production version may vary. Also, models such as this are mass produced and as a result some inconsistencies in finish and painting may occur; these are not considered manufacturer's defects. If you absolutely must have perfection, please be prepared to do some touch-up work on your own.