The namesake of the first class of battleships in the world fitted with 16" (40.64cm) guns, the 42,850-ton displacement IJN Nagato was commissioned in November of 1920 and served in the Pacific conflict alongside the IJN battleship Yamato. After sustaining damage during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the Nagato returned to Yokosuka Naval Base where she was relegated to coastal defense duties, ending her IJN career with the distinction of being the only Japanese battleship still afloat at the end of the war. She met her end as one of the target ships in the Bikini Atoll nuclear tests, surviving the first atmospheric detonation but sinking after the following undersea detonation.
Aoshima's new release of the Nagato is finely molded in gray plastic and is a waterline model, depicting the Nagato as she appeared in 1944. This special version includes brass replacement barrels for the main guns, with white metal blast covers.